webpositive

WebKit weekly report #27

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-04-11 06:54

Hello world!

Progress on WebKit this week happens in various areas.

On the testsuite first: I fixed several small issues that triggered asserts when WebKit was built with asserts enabled. This includes a problem with the sequencing of events when loading an invalid URL, and a double deletion of an object when iframes are involved. These two problems could have created some real-world issues, so WebKit should be a little bit more stable now. Another problem was the lack of "key up" events and mixup of keycodes vs characters in the testsuite keyboard simulator, which prevented us to test the editing code in an useful way. Another problem was some browser settings were modified by some tests (such as the text size, and page zoom factor), and not reset before running the following tests. This led to some unexpected errors which are now avoided. With these issues fixed, I can have a look at the remaining failing tests, knowing that they are more likely to uncover actual bugs.

WebKit weekly report #26 - Video support!

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-04-04 07:02

Hello everyone!

The good news first: I'll be working on WebKit for another month. Thanks to everyone who donated some money to make this possible. As said in the previous weeks, I'm now working part-time on another project to make this last longer.

And then, the very good news: HTML video is working!

WebKit weekly report #25

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-03-28 07:40

Hello world!

Support for html5 audio makes slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

Last week I was struggling with the build system. These issues are solved now, and I have a WebKit build which recognizes the <audio> and <video> html5 tags. This is not quite enough to get the sound and video output going, however. I have started plugging some parts of it to the media kit. We now download the audio files, and try to decode them with Media Kit. However, I found a bug with our ffmpeg add-on, that doesn't properly report the list of formats it can decode. I could work around that (but I'll try to fix it properly instead). However, we also have a problem with using BMediaFile and BMediaTrack in hybrid applications, as the ffmpeg decoder add-on is not available for those, and it needs to be instanciated in the application side. Moreover, the media server doesn't seem to handle hybrid paths properly, so the app tries to load the non-hybrid version of the add-on. So, I'll have to work on the media kit itself, earlier than I expected.

I also merged the latest version of WebKit, with the usual set of cleanup, optimization and bugfixes. The GTK port completely switched to CMake, and the autotools based build system is now gone. CMake is now the standard way of building WebKit, with only Apple port using something else (but they are considering to make the switch as well).

I'm also watching the testsuite results. I fixed some bugs in our font code again (mainly mixum of characters vs bytes), fixing some crashes. There is one crash (related to iframes) and one assert (related to cached resources) that I'd like to fix, as they cause most of the testsuite crashes. There are also a lot of rendering bugs, and fixing them will likely help with the rendering issues on real-world pages (but the pages in the testsuite are much simpler, making it easy to find where the bug comes from). I'll continue to review these.

WebKit weekly report #24

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-03-21 08:31

Hello world,

The report is going to be sort this week, for several reasons:

  • I was not at home for the week-end, and didn't get any Haiku work done,
  • As announced last week, I'm currently working only part-time for Haiku,
  • And, not much happened anyway. There are weeks like that.

WebKit weekly report #22

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-03-07 07:58

Hello there!

First of all, thanks to everyone who donated some money to make yet another month of contract work possible. This weekend I uploaded a release as announced in last week post. As expected, after this long overdue update, testers quickly found many small problems, so this week my work was mainly hunting these small bugs. Fortunately, none of them was too hard to fix. The fixes include:

WebKit weekly report #21

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-02-28 07:48

Hello there.

Well, the good news first: for some time I had a bug with GMail, where the top part of the interface (with the search bar, trash button, identity and GMail logo would disappear after the page loaded. This is why I didn't do any release in a while. Well, this bug is now mostly fixed. There is some flickering of the same area, but at least it doesn't completely disappear. I'll be researching the flickering, however it isn't an usability problem anymore, so I can package a release with all the improvements done over the last weeks.

WebKit weekly report #20

Blog post by PulkoMandy on Fri, 2014-02-21 08:10

Hello everyone!

So, as advertised last week, I spent some time running the testsuite again. And as usual, it helped spot and even fix a few bugs.

Syndicate content